Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Charis Books is a jewel

Charis Books last night was a real homecoming. The store, in many ways, looked the same: bright, warm, cheerful. Feminist posters on the walls, smiling staff.


When I saw Linda Bryant, it was just like 1989 again. I would have recognised her anywhere. She was running the store when I first arrived: the store where I saw my first author reading, met Dorothy Allison, Ursula Le Guin, Sarah Schulman, Alice Walker, Minne Bruce Pratt and and countless others. Some of those women I now call my friends. And all because of Charis.

There's video of last night's event. I've no idea when or where it will be posted but if I find out, I'll let you know. Meanwhile, go buy a book from a bookstore celebrating it's 40th Anniversary on Saturday. (There's a party! Go tho their website if you want more. I'm typing this in an airport lounge from an iPad so hunting-seeking-linking not currently my forte.) Order online, order by phone, better still, go in person. I guarantee you'll have a good time!

Meanwhile, I'll leave you with this photo. (There were a zillion people there even though you can't see them in this pic.) Hope to see some of you in DC. Or Boston. Or St Louis...

photo by Kelley Eskridge



This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print